Petition for an Australian Ministry For Peace
The petition respectfully points out that:
There is an urgent need to peacefully resolve the conflicts that exist among ourselves, within our region, country and the world.
Therefore your petitioners ask that The House of Representatives take a lead and legislate to establish an Australian MINISTRY FOR PEACE to achieve the following objectives:
• gather, analyse and utilize information and recommendations from local and global peace organisations;
• formulate policies that promote peace at all levels of society, personal, domestic, regional, state, federal and global;
• support and influence the already existing global movement for every nation to establish a Ministry or Department for Peace;
• encourage the Australian population to observe and celebrate all endeavours for peace on a personal, local, national and international level;
• administer an Australian Peace Academy as a government initiative to teach world’s best practice in creative mediation and conflict resolution methods to enable peacemakers to work among domestic and international populations;
• develop educational programs for civilian peacekeepers in schools, universities, the military, and among conflicting cultures both here and abroad;
• liaise with relevant government departments to provide prevention and healing programs addressing domestic, gang, drug, alcohol and gambling related violence towards a national and world-wide culture of peace.
The Petition has been developed by the United Nations Association of Australia (UNAA) (NSW) Inc as a contribution to the United Nations International Decade for a Culture of Peace and Non-Violence for the Children of the World, 2001 – 2010.
Please download and print the pdf by clicking here or the petition image above. Then sign and gather signatures and promptly send completed signed pages to your local Federal Member’s office or to Parliament House, Canberra ACT 2600
The petition is sponsored by UNAA (NSW) PO Box K229, Haymarket, Sydney NSW 1240. If more blank petitions are required, simply photocopy this sheet and use it to network and lobby for the establishment of an Australian Ministry For Peace asap. Thank you!